Civil / Structural Field Engineer
Civil / Structural Field Engineer
Optimum Staffing Solutions is an industry leader in providing prompt, professional and reliable one stop service of recruitment. Our services ranges through temporary staffing, temp to permanent, permanent recruitment, contract staffing, candidate selection. Optimum Staffing Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.
Our client, is a multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America for over 30 years, is looking for a Civil / Structural Field Engineer for their location in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Working with our client means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within the company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow. .
We are seeking qualified applicants with experience working on construction sites involving large concrete and steel structures (spillways, concrete dams, flood control structures), their associated earth fill dam /embankment structures and large-scale excavations in a variety of geotechnical conditions (rock and earth). This position will involve travel to various sites in Canada as a resident engineer either as a full-time site presence or on an arranged rotation. Durations at the sites will be determined by project needs, however typical rotations are either 14/7 or 21/7 day on/off site durations. The successful candidate will gain valuable experience in the hydro-electric field, working alongside a group of senior engineers on projects involving heavy civil project design & construction, addressing aspects. The successful candidate will also gain knowledge in the dam safety assessment of hydroelectric facilities.
|Job Type||Direct Hire / Permanent|
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Fieldwork involving:
- Working and effectively communicating with Engineers, Contractors and Owners.
- Performing regular inspections to ensure project specifications and requirements are met.
- Checking the quality of materials and equipment used during construction.
- Devising solutions to any issues noted at site in collaboration with the project team.
- Writing reports, taking detailed field notes, logging activities daily, and documenting progress of construction with regular detailed photographs.
- Assisting with contract administration during construction including review of progress claims, variations to the contract and other claims.
- Tracking, organizing, and updating of documents.
- Review of shop drawings and contractor’s submittals.
- Ensuring Project Managers are advised of all required changes in scope of work and preparation of resulting amendments to the contract for review and submission to client.
About your SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in civil engineering from a recognized university (Master’s degree is an asset).
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Ontario.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in civil/structural engineering.
- Experience in the hydroelectric field with heavy civil projects, including water retaining structures and flood control structures (knowledge of the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) Dam Safety Guidelines is an asset).
- Demonstrated experience monitoring quality and progress of heavy civil construction projects.
- Excellent oral & written English skills (bilingualism in French is an asset).
- Ability to understand all codes and standards relevant for the project and to communicate all requirements to the internal project team and client.
- Able to develop working relationships at site and work in a collaborative manner while protecting the client’s interests.
- Willing to travel and accept long-term assignments to various outdoor construction sites (durations at the sites will be determined by project needs).
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines or needs of Contractors’ construction schedules.
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (including MS Project).
- Experience with AutoCAD, Mathcad, STAAD Pro and/or Primavera P6 is an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able and willing to undergo security clearance checks in accordance with client requirements.