Coating Machine Operator
Coating Machine Operator
The Coating Machine Operator is responsible for setting up and operating a coating printing machine to produce print on label rolls. Coating machine uses 300-degree adhesive (silicone and hot melt adhesive).
|Job Type||Direct Hire|
- Follow standard operating procedures and specifications or instructions of higher-level technical personnel and monitor meters, gauges, valves, flow ratios, temperatures, pressures, and related controls and guidelines to ensure adherence to production/process specifications.
- Maintain production records and logs of equipment and product performance.
- Adjust set up and process operations accordingly.
- Follow coating formulas to weigh and prepare coating solutions for application to substrates (paper, poly, etc.).
- Inspect and examine printed products for print clarity, color accuracy, conformance to specifications, and external defects.
- Ability to test coat weights, and functional properties after coating to ensure quality product.
- Load raw material into machine and unload finished product.
- Provides mechanical maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Perform tests and check product routinely for multiple characteristics using standard measuring devices and making some judgments against not readily measurable standards.
- Reposition printing plates, adjust pressure rolls, or otherwise adjust machines to improve print quality, using knobs, hand wheels, or hand tools.
- Set and adjust speed, temperature, ink flow, and positions and pressure tolerances of equipment.
- Examine job orders to determine details such as quantities to be printed, production times, stock specifications, colors, color sequences, and anilox BCM (Billion Cubic Microns).
- Select and install printing plates, rollers, feed guides, gauges, screens, stencils, dies, and cylinders in machines according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Monitor feeding, printing, coating, and racking processes of presses to maintain specified operating levels and to detect malfunctions, making adjustments as necessary. Pour or spread ink, color compounds, and other materials into reservoirs, troughs, hoppers, or color holders of printing units, making measurements and adjustments to control color and viscosity.
- Blend and test inks, stains, and solvents according to types of material being printed and work order specifications.
- Clean and lubricate printing and coating machines and components, using oil, solvents, brushes, rags, and hoses.
- Measure screens and use measurements to center and align screens in proper positions and sequences on machines, using gauges and hand tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous coating experience and/or flexographic printing experience.
- Knowledge and experience in the label industry, must have knowledge of coating and printing, preferred knowledge on ETI Coaters.
- Must have working knowledge of the use of a PC and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Mechanical aptitude is a must.
- Math/algebra skills is preferred, used in the quality testing process.
- Working knowledge of chemistry is preferred, used in the mixing of the coating batches.